Monday 4 August 2008

Finningly Race

It was my first race back in about 10 months and DAMN was it hard! The weather was great and the track seemed to be running great too. There was an A, B and C class and every class was stacked with a full gate of 40 plus riders. Being my first race back in about 10 months I would have gone for the C class but Mason registered me in the B class before I even got there. I'm glad he did this as there is no better time than the present to step up. Its easy to stay down and make it easy on yourself but you're never going to improve unless you move up.


Moto 1 came round and I was psyched. I managed to get round the first corner in 3rd place which felt amazing. I stayed top 3 for a couple of laps but then I tired and dropped off very quickly. I was stoked as I had the speed to run up front, I just needed to work on fitness.

By the end of the first moto I was asking myself why I put myself through it all. I felt absolutely exhausted. Luckily there was a decent break between motos which gave me some time to recover.


My last 2 motos were similar to the first. I had a good start but then dropped off quickly due to overall lack of fitness and strength. I did however learn how to seat bounce properly. It was the first time I had really needed to do it. Another rider noticed that I was struggling to clear a jump and told me what to do. I started to do it in the last moto and by the end of it I was just about clearing the jump. Its a great feeling when you learn something new. I ended up getting 13th overall for the day which I thought was excellent considering the amount of riders and the class I was racing in. I'm also confident that will improve drastically when I get fit again.


2 Days on and I'm still feeling the pain. My left hand has four blisters on it and one of them feels like a 2nd degree burn as it has gone through a couple layers of skin. My thighs ache, my arms ache and my cheeks ache from a big ol' motocross smile.

1 comment:

leccyt said...

Yeah big W. First pic is sickkk.