Tuesday 4 September 2007

Twin shocker

Ryan called me up last Friday asking me if I want to go racing with him at one of the Twinshock championship rounds. They were running a modern bike class. I asked him if they had a B class and he said they run up to C class, so I agreed to go.

We got there on Sunday morning and I went to register. I said to the lady, "B class modern please" and she replied politely saying they only run an A Expert class. I looked over to Ryan and he had a fat smile on his face. It turns out he knew all along!

I wasn't too bothered and I was still up for racing. The track was hard packed and very slippery. It had some real steep sections with some tight corners which made for some interesting riding. It was definitely a different experience as I never felt scared or intimidated and I never got tired during the motos I just found it incredibly difficult to go fast.



Ryan and I had no idea what the program was and we thought there was only one modern bike class. We were parked near the start and we saw some people lining up on modern bikes. We hadn't seen any of our friends pass by though so we thought we were okay for time. After a while we decided to head down in case we had missed our passing friends and whilst we were starting our bikes we saw all these modern bikes flying down the start straight. We got going as soon as we could and followed with great urgency. We did a full lap and as we came past the finish line we got waved off. I initially thought they were restarting for us but it turns out there was an over 40's modern class and that's who were racing on the track at the moment. We went and spoke to some friends afterwards who were all standing together and had seen us flying up the hill in pursuit of the main bunch, haha, they thought it was pretty funny!

Everyone was very quick and I was near the back somewhere. I'm not sure of my overall position but I wasn't last. In fact I reckon I was about 25th out of about 35 which wasn't bad considering the level of the riders. By the end of the 1st moto I had crashed twice and smashed my back mud guard up. The 2nd moto I managed to stay on two wheels. About two races before our last moto the heavens opened and the track turned into an ice-rink. A lot of riders decided not to go out but Ryan and I decided we had to get our money's worth and go out. The last moto ended up being one of the most enjoyable races I have ever done although the cleaning up after wasn't so fun. Still a good day though!

No comments: