Monday 6 August 2007

Dalton WYMX


Dalton turned out to be an awesome day. There is so much to say but I'll keep it short.

The track looked quite intimidating to begin with. It had two massive step downs with some doubles and step ups. Quite a few of the jumps had some very deep middle sections to them so it meant if you didn't jump them you had to roll them very slowly. I went out in practice and for the first lap I took it slow and rolled a few of the jumps. The second lap of practice I approached the first big step down and decided to pin it. I sailed over the jump and cleared it. After that confidence was high and I proceeded to clear all the jumps. It felt really good and I could have just gone home at that point and I would have felt satisfied.

Moto 1 - There were about 38 riders on the gate. I managed to get an average mid pack start. I had a nice consistent moto doing all the jumps every lap and working my way up to 6th.

Moto 2 - I got my first ever holeshot! One of the best feelings in the world of motocross, to come flying round the first corner with a clear track in front of you and not having to pull a tear-off. I stayed in the top 3 for a few laps until I went down in a corner. I managed to get up very quickly without stalling and only losing one place. One lap later my left foot came off the foot peg and the back of my boot got caught on the peg folding my foot underneath it. At first I thought I had broken my ankle as it went completely numb. Half a lap later it came back to life and I was able to hang on for 4th place. After the race I could feel my ankle wasn't in good shape, so just left my boot on so I could finish the day.

Moto 3 - Another great start! I managed to get round the first corner in second place. After a few laps I had settled into 3rd place but then came off. Once again I was able to keep the bike running and only lost one place. A few corners later, the rider who passed me went down too so I was able to get 3rd back. By this time the track had become very tiring. The straights had become very bumpy and a lot of the jump faces had big divets in them. Very exhausted I held on for 3rd place.

I ended up finishing 4th overall, my best result so far. Unfortunately there were only trophies for top 3 (they were big trophies), so nothing to show for my best result ever, haha. I took the camera but forgot to take the memory card so no photos as of yet but hopefully I'll be able to get some from the other people that were taking photos.

Unfortunately my friend Lee Smith, riding in the expert class, had a nasty fall in the whoops and destroyed his shoulder. He has dislocated it and broken it. He already had pins in it from a previous injury and they were all ripped out. I sincerely hope he makes a speedy recovery and comes back stronger than before. Get well soon buddy!

As for my ankle, I got home and took my sock off and it looked like I had a golf ball attached to the side of it, so I might be out for a little while myself.

No comments: