Thursday 7 June 2007

Sit down stand up! The return of OC


Yesterday we went back to 'the desert'. It was the return of OC (coach Cooper). He has finally finished uni and is back ready to race and ready to coach (I hope). Ryan Mason also came along for the ride.

As soon as I started riding I realised that I had forgotten how tough it was. I think riding Caistor on Sunday which is really fast and smooth made it seem worse. But that's why we go to the desert, so we can get tough, riding tough conditions.

My biggest revelation of the night was when I was riding behind Mason. I noticed how late he was sitting down when going into the corners and I decided to do the same thing. What a massive difference this made! Some of the corners at the desert have become ruts rather than berms and so you really have to pick your line well going into them. There's also big braking bumps going into every corner. By standing up until I was a third or half way into the berm it just made things so much easier. I immediately felt a lot smoother, faster and was able to conserve more energy.

We finished off the night by making a little 2 corner track where we were really able to lay the bikes down. Coops and Mason were getting their handle bars pretty close to the ground. Great session!

1 comment:

Lee said...

Warren,

Your post above - 'My biggest revelation of the night was when I was riding behind Mason. I noticed how late he was sitting down when going into the corners and I decided to do the same thing. What a massive difference this made!'

That's EXACTLY what I was trying to get you to do at Caistor so glad you've got that sorted mate. Makes going quick much easier doesn't it?!?!?