Monday 9 July 2007

I [heart] Motocross

I raced at Sherwood this weekend on the new bike. I was looking forward to the race as it was the track that I did my first race at. I was also feeling confident after the ride I had on Thursday with Mason. Sherwood is a sand track that tends to get very bumpy, like a mini Southwick.

There were about 36 riders in my class which is one of the biggest turnouts this year and certainly the most I have raced against so far. I felt good in practice and again I was blown away by the new bike.

In the first race I got a good jump out the gate and then someone plowed into the side of me going down the start straight. I only just managed to not go down but it left me in second to last place. I rode as hard as I could and managed to pass quite a few people. By the end of the moto I was so tired and could barely hold on but I managed to get back up to 11th.

In the second moto I got a good start and was lying in the top 5 or 6. Unfortunately I blew the 3rd berm and lost a few places. I managed to get them back over the next couple of laps and I'm sure I was inside the top 5. I then began to catch the guy in front of me and after a lap I was right on his tail. We came into a tight hair pin turn and I went straight into the back of him and fell off. I got up quickly but the bike had stalled (this is not good on a 4 stroke). What felt like a life time later, I managed to get the bike going. I caught one guy and then cruised the last lap to finish 19th.

The last moto came round and I was feeling quite tired. I had also done something to my ankle in the last moto so that was throbbing. I got a pretty decent start and rode a good race. I battled with a few people and just tried to relax and keep it smooth. I finished 9th in the end.

The track was extremely bumpy and most people agreed it was worse than it normally was so it was very exhausting. On top of this I had chosen to run the standard grips that came with the new bike and they had ripped my hands to shreds.

My overall position was 12th. I was pretty happy with this considering all that went on.
My bike is amazing and I feel like I can definitely go fast on it. Its just up to me now to get fitter and stronger so I can hold onto it for longer.

No comments: