Tuesday 22 May 2007

Roadie thinking


I went out last night on the road bike with a few friends. I much prefer it to running and now that the weather has improved and its not getting dark until after 9pm, I hope to do a lot more of it. Sheffield is amazing for cycling but its almost impossible to do an easy ride, its just too hilly.

I was thinking last night that road riding is such a good exercise, not just physically but mentally. In so many other sports, motocross included, its so easy to pull off when things get tough but when you're 30 miles from home and you have no other choice but to cycle back, you can't give up. What I have found through road riding is that the mind often gives up long before the body ever does. As soon as you start to think you can't do something or things are getting too tough then your body automatically follows.

When I'm out on the road and things start getting tough I don't let it get to my head or else the rest of the ride will be so much harder. Our bodies are an amazing piece of kit and we forget too easily what they're really capable of doing until we make the conscious decision not to give up but to press on and push through.

I'm going to start thinking more like this when I'm on the motocross bike.

No comments: