Thursday 10 May 2007

Secret Goals

I got my results for the Pilsworth race today and I actually finished 12th in my last race and 12th overall. I was really happy.

I think setting goals is definitely important when you really want to make a success out of something no matter what level you're on. One of my first goals is to finish top 10 in a YMSA meeting. I really believe that will happen very soon.

I do have some much higher goals though, however I think its wise not too share them just yet. Mostly out of self preservation as I think people might think I'm crazy if I had to share them at this point. Its important that I have them though as they will be a great driving force with in my journey. I think if you place to much focus on the smaller short term goals, it actually takes longer to overcome them because they become the end point or conclusion to your journey.

I worked with a guy called Marc for just over a year and he was someone I had a lot of respect for. He was a really good business man and visionary. He once shared one of his business goals which was absolutely huge. I had never heard of a goal that was that ambitious from anyone I knew personally. By the time he finished I was pretty convinced that he could possibly reach it and then he said, "at the end of the day, even if I don't fully accomplish it in my lifetime, if I get any where close, that would be awesome". Aim High!

There is a lot more behind this and I will definitely go into it more in future posts but for now I have some short term goals which my friends and family (and readers of this blog) know about and then I have my secret goals.

Here is a poster I got given years ago. It still hangs in my room to this day.

No comments: